Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Angels, Fire, and a Pro GRT!

So before today it's been a week since my last update on here. Why? Because Angel Fire, New Mexico was way too much fun and had way too much going on to get on here! Oh yeah and I didn't have internet access (minor details right?). But after five amazing days in the small mountain town, I finally ended up parting ways with the place and arrived here in Denver, Colorado. So far I have liked it, at least for a city. Which is a good thing because I am spending a few days here while I wait on my rear shock to get back to me from Fox Racing. I do have to say I was impressed with their turn around time, as I have NEVER had them flip a shock in only three days from the time I shipped it off to them! Now just to see if it actually works right now!



Anyway, on to the Angel Fire write up! This has to be one of my favorite places not only to ride but just to be around. The tiny mountain town sits at a comfortable 8,600 feet above sea level, which did kick my butt the first few days there, but every second was completely worth it. The actual park is freaking amazing. There is an abundance of trails that cater to all skill levels, and all of them are fun. Even the easiest trails out there have sections to keep the more experienced riders having fun. From the gnarly Double-Black rock gardens on World Cup DH to the high speed jump trail of Boulder Dash, every last trail is amazing. And anyone can have fun there! Like super steep, technical trails? They got it! Like full sized motocross berms and jumps at 30 mph? They have that too. And I don't think it matters what bike you are on. I rode with multiple people with every range of bike style. Some guys were on full built downhill race bikes going mach 1 the whole time, while others were on their 29" all mountain bikes. It didn't matter what they rode, everyone there was friendly (except the one bike patrol guy who said I probably wasn't going to be able to ride the trails well. I proved him wrong when I rode with and left him), and everyone had a smile on their face the whole time (again, except for when I outran the bike patrol guy).

I have to say, Supreme was probably my favorite trail there. Double-Black jump trail? Yes please! No brakes, wide open, full sized moto berms and 30 feet long tables, one after another, for something like a mile down the mountain. And to finish it off, a ski jump that you can send as far as you want (literally had a 75 feet long lander!). And after meeting up with a local guy who showed me a less ridden extension of the trail, I ended up sessioning the trail probably 4 times in a row! I have to say World Cup DH was probably my favorite technical trail. Endless rock gardens, kind of like Farlow Gap in Pisgah Forest only you don't get covered in mud. The dust from here in New Mexico is a lot easier to get off than that Pisgah mud! I have to give mad props to Mongoose. I don't care if they sell more Wal-Mart bikes than anything else, their big bikes are sweet. My 2010 Boot'r with the fork swapped to a Marzocchi Bomber 66 (single crown = full crossed x-ups!). Its the perfect combo of a freeride and a race bike. Plenty fast enough to compete with most of the guys out there racing but still throws around and pops like a park bike. Gotta love it.

And amazingly enough, the good rides didn't end when you got to the bottom of the slopes! I managed to hook up with a guy named J.P. who managed Trailhead, a local shop right there on the mountain. He was a great guy who really helped me out in my dire time of lack of a trail bike, hooking me up with a Giant Anthem. This gave me a chance to explore some of the many many miles of XC/AM single track that weaved its way through the surrounding mountains. I even had the pleasure of being shown some of the trails not on the map! J.P. really knows his way around that place, as he should being a mountain bike guide. If you're ever there, look him up and tell him Matt sent you, he will help you out for sure!

At the end of my three days of riding I was so beat it was hard to walk up the mountain. Which proved to be slightly problematic considering I was trying to photograph the Pro GRT race that was going on Saturday and Sunday! Lots of fast guys out this weekend. No huge names since it was the first World Cup race in Fort Williams, Scotland, but still a good turn out and lots of awesome people out! Every class was pretty stacked and really competitive! All the racers If anyone who raced was there, let me know your race number! I probably have some pictures of you!

I don't have any pictures of me riding, however will try to upload some videos later! In the mean time, here are some of the good shots from the racers!







No comments:

Post a Comment