Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Series of Unfortunate Events

My short time in Arkansas has proven to be rather unlucky. The drive from Alabama that was supposed to take around 6 and a half hours took just over 8. Accidents. Work zones. And pretty bad rain slowed traffic to a near standstill for miles. Even the GPS was getting bored. But a quick nights rest at a truck stop just outside of Little Rock found me waking up to gorgeous weather in a nice city just around the corner from Ouachita. Grabbed some breakfast and coffee and thought to myself, "It's a good day to ride a bike!" And after driving for miles through the country side, my smile continued to grow as houses disappeared and paved roads turned to beaten dirt.
Eventually I took the last turn that was supposed to put me right at the start of the Womble Trail. 37 miles of what the IMBA* calls an epic ride. But due to rough weather the last few weeks, Lake Ouachita is overflowing, leaving the trailhead inaccessible. No worries though. It crosses the main road just 2 miles from here, I'll just park up there and ride. What's 2 miles out of 37 anyway? And I have to admit. I liked the trail. 




But after a few miles I stopped to take a few pictures, heck I have to have a way to keep y'all reading right? Well I looked down to see the rear shock leaking oil and the lockout completely useless. Enough to dampen my spirits, but not stop my ride. Unfortunately the loose crank WAS enough to make me turn around. Note to self, carry every needed tool on my rides...

So not that my time in Arkansas has been cut short, it's time to que the road tripping music and head out for New Mexico!


No comments:

Post a Comment